Here we go!
1. Pick a cookie design to make (I’ll reveal my choice later)
2. Mix up some Vanilla-Almond Sugar Cookies – recipe below
3. Roll them out and use a glass as a cookie cutter since you have every kind of animal, Easter, Valentine’s, and Christmas cookie cutter, but not a single circle one.
4. Bake them on parchment paper. Why have I not used parchment paper before?!? This stuff is amazing!
5. Roll the leftover dough into balls to freeze and eat later. :)
6. Admire the fresh, warm cookies and try to resist eating them so you’ll have enough to decorate tomorrow.
Stay tuned for part two – Decorating the cookies!
3 c. unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 c. sugar
2 sticks (salted) butter, cold
¾ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract
Preheat oven to 350. Cream sugar and butter. Add egg and extracts. Gradually add flour/baking soda and beat just until combined, scraping down the bowl, especially the bottom.
The dough will be crumbly, so knead it together as you scoop it out for rolling. Roll onto a floured surface and cut into shapes. Place on parchment lined baking sheets. Freeze on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then bake for 10-12 minutes.
This made 21 cut-out cookies and 10 leftovers (not counting the dough that may or may not have been eaten in the process.)